A Terrier is a small to medium sized breed of dogs that are typically feisty and very energetic. They were developed in Great Britain and Ireland and were used to control small rodents, rabbits, and foxes both above and under ground.
There are 5 different groups of Terriers with each group containing several different breeds. The Terrier groups are:
• Working Terriers – hunting types that are still used to track quarry
• Fell Terriers – bred in Northern England to assist in killing foxes
• Hunt Terriers – developed in England to locate and kill foxes during a mounted fox hunt
• Toy Terriers – small dogs bred down from larger Terriers to be show dogs and companion dogs.
• Bull type Terriers – mixed breed of dogs generally used in bull-baiting and pit dogs.
Terriers come in a variety of sizes – from just a few pounds to weighing over 70 pounds. They range in appearance from the very small and smooth-coated English Toy Terrier to the larger rough-coated Airedale Terrier. Terrier breeds include:
• Airedale Terrier
• Australian Terrier
• Bedlington Terrier
• Boston Terrier
• Bull Terrier
• Carin Terrier
• Fox Terrier (smooth)
• Fox Terrier (wire)
• Irish Terrier
• Lakeland Terrier
• Parson Russell Terrier
• Rat Terrier
• Russell Terrier
• Toy Fox Terrier
• Scottish Terrier
• Staffordshire Bull Terrier
• Welsh Terrier
• West Highland White Terrier
• Yorkshire Terrier and more
It is important to take care of your Terrier’s health. Because of rising veterinary costs, many people today are purchasing pet insurance. Pet insurance can actually help to defray high veterinary bills, as well as give you peace of mind, knowing that your Terrier’s healthcare will be covered in case of an emergency.
GuardMyPet offers affordable pet insurance for Terriers. We have various plans to choose from to suit both your budget and your Terrier’s health care needs. Contact us today for a free quote.