Cats – those amazing little four-footed, furry felines are currently the most popular pets in the world. They come in all colors, shapes and sizes and can be found practically anywhere in the world. The domestic cat or house cat is a small, domesticated and carnivorous mammal that has come to be loved and valued by humans for their warm companionship and for their ability to hunt rodents and other household pests.
If you are a cat owner, there are many things you already know about cats. For instance, you know that cats spend a lot of time sleeping – up to 16 hours a day to be exact.
You also may have noticed that they are ‘neat freaks’, and spend a lot of time grooming. And you have probably figured out that cats think very highly of themselves and that you should be honored to have them. Plus, you know how important it is to make sure that your cat is well provided for and taken care of.
But, there are some things about cats that you may not know. Here are a few interesting facts about cats:
• There are more than 500 million domestic cats in the world and 40 different breeds.
• Cats knead with their paws when they are happy.
• Cats love to be talked to (sweetly, that is). The more you speak to your cats, the more they will speak to you.
• An average cat can have 1-8 kittens in a litter and 2-3 litter per year.
• Only 40% of cats are ambidextrous (meaning they can use both their left paw and their right paw equally well). The others are either right-pawed or left-pawed.
• Cats love to chew on grass and the leaves of plants. Be careful because many plants are toxic to cats.
• When your cat is rubbing against you, he is usually marking you with his scent gland and declaring you as his territory.
• 21% of US household have at least one cat.
• The average lifespan for an indoor cat is 15 years while an outdoor cat has an average lifespan of 3-5 years.
• Cats are essentially loners. They like to be loved, but they also like their space.
• It costs approximately $7000 to take care of a household cat over its lifetime. This is only for basic care. The more pampered the pet, the higher the cost.
• Pet Insurance for cats can help defray the costs of taking care of your cat and can give cat owners the peace of mind, knowing that their precious pet is covered in the event of an emergency or illness.
The purr-fect solution to guard your cat from illness and disease, without having to worry about high vet visits is to have your cat insured. At GuardMyPet.com, we offer a variety of affordable cat insurance plans for you to choose from.
For the love of your cat, contact us today for a free quote on getting your cat insured. We look forward to hearing from you.